Tuesday, November 24, 2009

another bright idea

It was not one of my better ideas.  The kids had come home from school, we finished homework, tutoring, violin practice & I had the bright idea that with still a couple hours until dinner, we could go run a "quick" errand to get a baby gift and save me the trip the next day.  This had "bad idea" stamped all over it.
I briefed the tired-from-school children about the proper way to behave while in a cute baby boutique.  (boutique?  yes, my idea just kept getting worse)  We covered all important topics, including keeping hands to yourself, walking, no hide-and-seek, no shadow light-saber fights, quiet voices, no touching ANYTHING.  All bases appeared covered, children smiled and agreed to the "rules" and we headed in.
*
I will stop here to say that my children are generally well-behaved, manner minding little folks.  However, they are children.  And after a long day of school, homework, tutoring, violin practice they really just want to run around the yard or the house playing.  The VERY last thing they want to do (or should be doing) is walking like little adults through a baby boutique.  I was seriously a few sandwiches short of a picnic on this one.
*
Back to the story...
Every single rule covered in the pre-boutique car briefing was forgotten within 3 minutes of entering the shop.  Hands were touching merchandise, hands were touching each other, voices were not indoor approved, hide-and seek was quickly put to a halt, light-sabering went on behind me and there was running.  Oh the horror.  The glances from the women who either don't have children or whom were smart enough to leave them home with the nanny (where is my nanny anyway?)  were sharp and disapproving.
After each offense, I would quietly and calmly *surrrre* remind the kids of the rules and command them to "stop it!"  Each time they would look at me with those adorable, innocent, "I-came-from-your-womb" eyes and say, "I'm sorry, Mommy."  This phase, complete with the look was repeated at least a half a dozen times on this adventure.
Finally I had had enough.  Enough!  Enough!  I looked at my adorable, driving-me-nuts offspring and said, "Enough!  I don't want you to say you're sorry anymore!  I want you to change your behavior!"
OOOOWWWWWW

"Yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death."  2 Corinthians 7:9-10

1 comment:

Lori said...

love it..love it...
so many times I chastised my kids with the thought "this is how God must feel all the time with me".
too funny.
thanks you for sharing your thoughts.
Happy Thanksgiving, Kim.
I am thankful for YOU!

;0)