Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fruit Smoothies

We just returned from a fabulous family vacation to a Beaches property in Jamaica. Wonderful time! And one of my favorite parts was the food. So many different things to choose from and all of it fresh and delicious. My absolute, hands-down favorite? The fruit. Fresh from the island - delicious! Each morning we'd head to the buffet breakfast and I would order a fruit smoothie. Made to order right in front of me. Fresh, frothy, blended perfection in a cup!
I could select from 7 different fruit choices, blended with ice and a splash of pineapple juice. Each day was different, I never had the same flavor and all were perfect! I was the master of my smoothie, determining what went in (and what did not). The best - Pineapple, Banana, Mango, Cantaloupe. Yummy!

And I got to thinking how my life is kind of like a fruit smoothie. How many times have I taken a bit of this and a splash of that, thrown them all together and mixed them up to create a "flavorful" concoction? How many times have I reduced (or eliminated all together) an ingredient to make my smoothie more appealing to someone else (or many someone elses)? Have there been times that I threw a bit of something extra in to "fit in" just a bit better? have I eliminated entire ingredients that didn't seem to "fit" with the world?

I'm not necessarily talking the obvious ingredients here either. (it's not the big stuff!) It's the subtle, the border-line, the gray stuff, that makes the smoothie seem a bit more appetizing. Have I simply added enough "God" to make my smoothie Christian, but enough world to keep it from being labeled radical, intolerant, judgmental? Have I thrown in some ideas that sound great, I mean really great, but are completely unBiblical? What does my smoothie include? Is it different from everybody else's or is just a slight variation on the rest of the world's?

How's your smoothie?

1 comment:

Lori said...

My smoothie is part Love, part irritation, part judgmental, part kind, part bitter, part sour....
sounds horrible!!!!
At the moment I am NOT palatable, fortunately God has the best "recipe" in mind for me and I need to "gather the ingredients" for a better, not perfect, smoothie.
;0)