Monday, October 26, 2009

not in my power

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire & the power to do what pleases him."  Philippians 2:13

I just absolutely love this!  Do you see what it's saying?  It's not of our own power or strength that we do what pleases God.  He is working in us and He is providing us the desire and the power.  It's not about what I can do, how powerful or strong I am...it's all Him.  He provides exactly what we need to do what He requires.  

Philippians 2:14 continues by saying "do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you.  Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people."  

Tough instructions.  But the best part is the promise that precedes this instruction - He will provide us with everything we need to live without complaining & arguing.  He will give us the desire to live innocent, clean lives.  It's not about us sucking it up and trying our hardest to "be good".  It's about knowing Him, relying solely on Him and believing that He will provide the desire and power to live a right life in His sight.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Kim, this is so good! This is a much needed reminder for me that God working in me is enough...it is not about me trying to do it within my own power.

Lori said...

Yes, Kim,
YOU get it!
There is nothing we can do for God that will make Him love us any more and there is nothing we can do to make God love us any less.
It's all about Grace and perfect LOVE....it's all GOD.
Questions we should ask ourselves: are we USABLE???
are we willing???
are we allowing God to do the work in us?????
Great post, my friend.

:0)