Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday thought - what am I wearing?

The choices are virtually endless.  Jeans, khakis, dress pants, shorts, capris, skirts...in bottoms alone, the possibilities are plentiful.  I, myself, prefer a comfortable pair of nicely worn-in jeans and a comfortable shirt, sweater or sweatshirt.  Comfort nearly always trumps fashion, for me.  However, there are exceptions to my comfort "rule".  On occasion I have a reason to get all dressed up in a fancy dress that squeezes me in with sleeves that require my arms to stay in the down and straight position and a skirt that requires me to "sit like a lady".  If I have to...
Of course, I clothe myself every day in more than just clothes.  I also put on attitudes, opinions, thoughts, characteristics, activities.  And just like choosing between putting on my old, comfy pair of jeans & a broken-in sweatshirt or a fancy formal, I also choose whether to put on anger, jealousy, hatred, immoral living or put on love, peace, joy, moral behavior.  And it's not always as easy as picking out my favorite sweatshirt.

"Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh."  Romans 13:14 (NIV)

The "rather" in this verse refers to the following verse where we're instructed not to participate in the darkness of wild parties & drunkenness, sexual promiscuity & immoral living, or in quarreling & jealousy.  So instead of putting on those things, we are to put on Jesus.
The hebrew word used in this verse for "clothe" can be translated "to sink into clothing"  I have an old-college sweatshirt that I love to wear. When I put it on, I literally sink into it.  It surrounds me, it "hugs" me.  I can wrap my arms around myself and just exhale with comfort.  I imagine being clothed in Jesus to be this way.
So why do I sometime cloth myself in the "rathers" than in Jesus?  Sometimes, like my old, tattered, comfortable college sweatshirt, do I think wearing Jesus is just not "fashionable"?  I mean, I wear my sweatshirt around the house, but I would never wear it out on a date with my husband.  Do I sometimes do this with Jesus?  I wear him to church on Sunday or Bible study or to a Christian bookstore, but I choose to put on something else when I am elsewhere?  Do I find that I can't "wear" him to certain places, with certain people?  Do I put him in the closet and only take him out occasionally, to look more "Christian"?

Clothing myself with Christ is a matter of the mind.  This verse also says we are not to think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.  Flesh here is referring to our human nature, which is prone to sin.  Focusing on our flesh and thinking about those things which might become tripping spots is not where our minds should be sitting in order to clothe ourselves in Christ.  As Philippians 4:8 tells us, we are to "fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise".  We cannot "dress ourselves" in Jesus and have our minds in the things of the world.  To be clothed in Christ is to have my mind on the things of Christ.

So clothe yourself today in the Lord Jesus Christ, put on his attitudes, his ways, his thoughts and think upon those things.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Thank you for your great thoughts, Kim.
Today, I am weary of fighting, even the good fight, so your words are so very timely.
I should go and put on His Strength, and seek after His Peace before I take another breath.....

;0)

Wendi said...

I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for posting, I needed to hear that today.