Wednesday, October 21, 2009

stuck on faith

I've been stuck for the past few days.  I was following a dialog on a fellow bloggers' comments between a follower of Jesus and an atheist.  The discussion went round and round between the two completely opposite points of views.  One saying that God is very much real and one saying that God is very much a delusion.  Neither person involved could be persuaded to the other's belief on the matter and no argument was powerful enough to change the other's opinion.
And I'm stuck.  Stuck because I wonder how it is possible to explain faith.  Faith is not seeing, touching, hearing.  Faith is not absolute evidence.  Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see [Hebrews 11:1].  Faith requires that I not see everything.  For if I could see everything, faith would no longer be required.
If God all of the sudden appeared for everyone to see and spoke in an audible voice for all to hear providing the absolute evidence that he exists, faith would no longer be required to believe that he was.  His existence would be as obvious as the sun's.  But God has required faith.  He found it necessary to place clues of his being throughout his creation for us to discover, thus causing us to believe.  This belief in the unseen and the hope of what this unseen provides, is faith.
To anyone looking for only the hard evidence, it won't be found.  If one is certain not to 'see' the unseen, they won't.  Faith requires something to remain unseen, to remain hidden.  And really, it makes absolutely no sense to anyone only looking for the clear, exact, screaming-in-you-face evidence.
I don't understand everything about God.  I am not sure why he chose to require faith.  But I believe that he is, I believe his ways are higher than my mind can comprehend and I believe that in the end, every eye will look upon him and faith will no longer be required to see him.
*
It may sound as though I am frustrated, helplessly looking for an answer that will provide me the words to say to explain faith.  I am not.  I suppose that's where faith comes in.  I know that I cannot possibly debate anyone into believing in God, the Gospel, the Bible.  I cannot have the 'right' words.  But I have faith that God can tap, tap, tap on the heart of anyone.  anyone.  And if that person hears the tapping...faith of their own may be born.  Of course, this isn't a license to sit back & figure I'm of no good to the Kingdom with a "God can do it all on his own" attitude.  Although God doesn't have to use us, he chooses to.  So, sit back, I will not.  But get all worked up, frustrated, angry?  I won't either.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Wasn't that amazing dialog between Chris and Anonymous?????
Anonymous was spot on debating every point Chris made, didn't you think?
Honestly, in all that I struggled with this very strong desire to see a miracle in Chris' heart.
Then, on Sunday morn we had a guest speaker, Mike Riddle, who is the man behind "Answers in Genesis" and spoke of his life before the Lord when he was an avowed atheist.
He told the story about the time that a stranger at the gym where he worked came over and told him about the Lord by sharing of His gospel, then he left.
Long story short-7 years later Mike finally surrendered his heart to the Lord and 20 years after that he and his wife were conducting lectures on creationism at a church and the Pastor invited them over for supper.
After quite some time of getting to know one another, the pastor said: "I know you! I shared the gospel with you in that gym, remember?"
27 years later God brought them together!!!!!
Them Mike told us: "if you're expecting to see fruit everytime you share the gospel with someone you need to get over that!!!! you just need to be obedient to the Lord!!!!"
True story...I got it and getting over it.
Bless you, my sister.

Sharon said...

AMEN! I need to be so much bolder in my faith, but God is showing me how I can stick my neck out for HIM and not worry about risking my reputation/image/brain. I want to WEAR jesus on my sleeve... But some times I'm such a wimp!!

Great words here - cool to have a sister in Switzerland!

PS - nice work on the button!