Sunday, January 31, 2010

money Monday


Photobucket

I read a statistic today.  Unfortunately it really wasn't that shocking.  It should be, but really it isn't.
It's reported that in 2009, the average American spent $1.22 for every $1.00 earned.  So, let's assume (using a rough average I found at Wikipedia) that the average American made $40,000 in 2009, that average American spent $48,800.  Roughly.  This same report noted that the average American family carried $8,000 in credit card debt at the end of 2009.  Hmmmm…
Why?
Part of it we come by nationally, errr I mean naturally.  The government spend about $1.4 Trillion more than it collected in 2009 too.  But we can't blame everything on the government.

So what does that 22 cents and the $1.4 trillion say?
"We have been provided with less than what we need.  We must spend more than we receive to live."
*
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus"  Philippians 4:9.
*
Do I believe that God will provide all that I need?  ALL?  He will provide everything that I need.  It may not be what my neighbor has, or what I think I really want or what Bill Gates has in his change jar on the dresser, but God has custom-made a providing for me.  And it is sufficient.  For ALL.  If God provides me $1, I have what is necessary for ALL I need.
*
Is it a sin to spend more than we make, to have debt?  You won't find a specific verse in Scripture claiming "thou shalt not have credit card debt".
As with so many things in the life of a follower of Jesus, this is a heart issue.   Why spend more than you have been provided (more than you make)?  What is the heart reason behind it?
*
God will meet all our needs.  All of them.  It may not look as fancy as a Pottery Barn showroom or a BMW dealership, but our needs will surely be met.

No comments: