Monday, January 11, 2010

taking flight

Photobucket
Proverb 23:4-5
 Don't wear yourself out trying to get rich.  Be wise enough to know when to quit.
  In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle.


I can't help but think of the financial "melt-down" over the past couple of years when I read the second of these verses.  Some reports claim that when the housing market and the stock market are considered, in 2008 Americans lost nearly $9 trillion in wealth.  That's $9 trillion, with a 'T'.  And where did it all go?  This particular article that I read says, "Mostly up in the air".  


Sounds like it spouted wings and flew away.


Wealth is fleeting.  Here today, gone tomorrow.  Just when you think it's been caught, it is flying into the heavens.


The first of the verses sounds like a great line to throw in the face of that spouse or friend who works too many hours and never has time to spend with the family just to gain a bigger paycheck.  However, as I looked at the verse a bit closer, what stuck out to me was the words "to get rich".  Other translations say gain wealth, become rich, pretend to be rich.  Interesting.  
Do I on occasion (or an many occasions) wear myself out trying to get rich by not loosing our wealth?Do I worry have anxiety about becoming less wealthy?  Have I ever become weary trying to pretend to be rich?  Looking rich, dressing rich, having a rich house?  


The Bible clearly says we are to work & provide for our families.  We should be good stewards of the financial resources we've been given.  Definitely.  But are there times when I wear myself out trying to maintain a certain level of wealth or a certain appearance of wealth?  Sadly, yes.
~
That I would remember that everything, including the finances of my family, are in the control of God.  To remember that wealth is fleeting, like a flying eagle.  To avoid getting in the habit of wearing myself out to maintain or gain wealth, this is my prayer.

No comments: