Thursday, May 7, 2009

could it be?

I overheard a couple of women talking at the playground a few weeks back.  It went something like this:
"We have some new folks moving to Geneva in a few weeks."
"Really?"
"Yes.  They're wondering if there are any english-speaking Christian churches in town.  Mary* goes to one I think.  She's a Christian, right?  I could ask her."
"Mary's a Christian?  I never would have guessed that."

*heart sinking into the pit of my stomach*  Although they were not talking about me, I felt this rush over my heart.  Could someone say that about me?  Could someone not know?  Could someone "never guess" that I am a follower of Jesus?

 Matthew 3:8 (NLT) says "prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins & turned to God."  

By the way you live - the way I do life.  The way I handle it when people cut in front of me in line, the way I react when traffic is ridiculous, how I behave around my friends, my enemies.  What do I choose to do when tragedy strikes?  Do I forgive other, do I give cheerfully, do I practice hospitality??  These are the ways I live.  Good deeds and service and prayer and time spent in ministry, those are parts of life, but certainly not all of the way I live.  In the harder, tougher moments, with the rougher, more tolerant crowd, in those times, in those moments, does my life prove whom I follow?

*the name has been changed

No comments: