Tuesday, May 5, 2009

it all began…

It all began late in 2008.  I had always pretty much assumed that I "knew" the Bible.  I mean, I can't really quote you too many verses or give you too many references from my memory, but I have the general idea of most of the stories and themes of the Bible.  I attended Sunday School growing up & watched all those stories play out on felt-boards (remember those?  love them!)  And I went to youth camps & listened closely to the "deeper" subjects they taught us up-and-coming adults (that is when I wasn't trying to land a boyfriend!)  But I figured my overall knowledge of scripture & Biblical "stuff" was, well, better than average.  "Yes, please.  I would love some humble pie today!"
While I was running one day, listening to my favorite podcast I was challenged.  It was a list of 5 questions under the heading Year-End Survey.  And they are:
  • How much time did I spend in Scripture last week?
  • When was the last time I memorized a verse?
  • When was the last time I taught someone a verse from the Bible?
  • What do I know about God's Word that I didn't know a year ago?  How is it affecting how I live today?
  • What could I eliminate in the next 45 days & insert time in God's Word?
This was a challenging list of questions.  Although, I figured my grade would not be an "F", I knew it was far from an "A".  Especially question #4.  What did I know today that I didn't know last year?  I figured there was plenty.  But part 2 of that question asks how my life has changed in light of what I had learned...I was drawing a blank.  My life looked pretty much the same on December 31, 2008 as it did on January 1, 2008 (expect for another candle on the b-day cake!)  My journals revealed that the same ole' things that were tripping me up the previous year, (the list is long & and for now I'll spare you the details) were still doing so.  No change here.  (reminds me of something James said - not James my husband, but New Testament James.)

I knew I needed to get in the Word and learn truth for myself.  I could not go on assuming that I "knew" what I needed to know.  How many things do I sort-of know, but I don't know-know.  You know?  And I remember a story (beautifully displayed on a felt-board) about a woman in a garden who thought she knew what God had said, was challenged, kind-of figured maybe what the other guy was saying sounding about right and "fell".  
I was convinced that I needed to know-know.  I needed to understand for myself.  I mean, if I'm placing my soul, my eternity on something, shouldn't I know-know-know it? 
And thus, this adventure begins.

No comments: